Reynard's Feast

This blog is dedicated to one of the finer things in life: good vegan food.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Chocolate Jaffa Cupcakes

I was in the mood for something decadent, chocolatey and bite-sized on the weekend, so I turned to Benno's grandmother's chocolate cake recipe and turned it into chocolate jaffa cupcakes. They were quite decadent, and only used things we had around the house – the citrus rind was leftover from the Christmas pud I made last year.

Most of the mixture I made into cupcakes, but I also used a madeleine tray, and made little shell-shaped ones.



Chocolate Jaffa Cupcakes

1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup organic, fair-trade cocoa powder
3 tB orange liqueur
1 tB white creme de cacao
oat milk (or other dairy milk)
2 tsp candied citrus rind
100g vegan chocolate, chopped (or vegan chocolate drops)

Set oven to 180°C.
Sift together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir to combine. Stir through the rind and chocolate chips.

Transfer to oiled small-cupcake trays (use patty cases if you're feeling fancy; I generally can't be bothered) and bake for about 10 minutes.


Makes around 20 small cakes, suitable for lazy Sunday afternoons with a pot of tea and a good book.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:55:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Tasty!

 
At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:02:00 pm, Blogger jacinta said...

Perfect! I was just looking for a recipe to make cupcakes this afternoon, and then a brilliant one appears here. Yay!
I will make them and report back.
Mmmm, they look delicious.

 
At Tuesday, June 05, 2007 4:12:00 pm, Blogger Danika said...

Firebird:

Yep. I may make them again. :)

Alaanja:

Please do!

 
At Thursday, June 07, 2007 2:33:00 pm, Blogger jacinta said...

Well, I made cupcakes sorta like these ones... It started out with a lack of chocolate, progressed to not wanting to put alcohol in food for a pregnant woman (or me, about to drive, lol I know it was going to be all cooked out but still)..
So I didn't know if it would bind properly without chocolate so I put tapioca in, then I put in a bit of tahini, then I put in coconut milk 'cause we had some in the fridge, then they ended up being chocolate coconut cupcakes.

I will have to make them when I have chocolate! Mmm, and I could use some creme de cacao on hand, too.

 
At Monday, June 11, 2007 8:14:00 pm, Blogger Danika said...

Alaanja:

The chocolate's not a binding ingredient. These are a variation on a recipe which only has self-raising flour, cocoa, sugar and milk in it.

The orange liqueur is easily replaced with orange essence for non-alcoholic cupcakes, but I doubt there would be much left after baking.

What you made sounds great too, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home