Reynard's Feast

This blog is dedicated to one of the finer things in life: good vegan food.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Purple Risotto

I've been wanting to make a beetroot risotto for awhile, since I saw a TV chef I don't particularly like whip one off. This version is unideal because we had no fresh beetroot; if we did, I'd chip it into matchsticks and replace the drained beetroot juice with a 1/2–1 cup or so of water.

This was fantastically tasty. My partner, who is lukewarm when it comes to beetroot (unlike me, though I agree with Robin Robertson and say that tinned just isn't the same after having fresh), was blown away by this recipe and said that it's now in her top ten recipes. She'd also like me to mention that the onions chopped into matchsticks was her idea; I just chopped them as usual. She suggests frying them until they're caramelised.


Purple Risotto
(Or, more mundanely, beetroot risotto)

1 red onion, chopped into matchsticks
1/2 eggplant, sliced into thin strips
425 g can beetroot, sliced; juice reserved
2 cups of spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup pearl barley
2 cups vege stock
2 tB balsamic vinegar
black pepper
whole baby spinach leaves, for garnish

Steam-fry onion and garlic until onion is clear. Add eggplant and cook until softened.
Add pearl barley, spinach, beetroot and marjoram, and fry for a minute. Combine beetroot juice, stock and balsamic vinegar. Add to pan a 1/4 cup at a time, waiting until it all absorbs until adding more. Cook until all the stock has been absorbed and the pearl barley is cooked.
Season with black pepper and stir through. Serve topped with fresh baby spinach leaves.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:24:00 am, Blogger Lee said...

I would really love to see photos of these recipes :-)

 
At Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:53:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How kewl! Purple risotto!

Sounds brilliant..:)

 
At Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:20:00 am, Blogger Lee said...

Yum! I have sooooooo got to try this one! I've copied it down ad it will be going into my recipe file :-)

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:41:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta say im excited to find ur blog.. Ur from melb Aus, melb is great.. im from teh gold coast. I had to say hi becuase i am also a vegan and love to cook. I wanted to find a vegan cooking school here but i found none, apparently there is one in the u.s

Anyway u seem cool and ur food rocks and id love to chat with u sometime. my email is heem8@hotmail.com if u would add me to msn would b so cool to chat.. Now im off to really have a look at ur cool recipes!

love raheem :)

 
At Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:46:00 pm, Blogger Danika said...

Jacinta: I did post it, and it's ... not there. I'll have to see if I can find it. Argh!
There are a few tutorials online (I know, I've looked) on how to chop things into matchsticks. I'm frankly crap at it, so wouldn't be so bold as to offer advice.

Daharja: As soon as I find my camera cable, I'll start posting photos, promise.

 
At Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:47:00 pm, Blogger Danika said...

Jacinta: Banana bread entry fixed. It should be back on the main page.

 
At Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:50:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:59:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, September 10, 2007 11:19:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, September 10, 2007 2:38:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home