Reynard's Feast

This blog is dedicated to one of the finer things in life: good vegan food.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sweet Chilli Sauce (Mark 1)

I was planning on posting my modified recipe for banana cake today, since I seem to have left my brand-spanking-new recipe for beetroot chutney at my parents' house. Unfortunately, my banana cake recipe (taken from my mother's recipe card index and improved on) has also gone walkabout. So, I bring you something else.

My girlfriend and I, as well as being vegan, are also big fans of wholefoods and slow foods. What this boils down to is that we like to make as much of what goes into our bodies as we can, from as early in the process as possible. So, last night she asked for sweet chilli sauce. It's imperfect, and I want to experiment with cooking it for a bit, and maybe with some cornflour to thicken.

Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 tB (15 mL) golden syrup
1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/8 tsp finely chopped chilli

Combine in a bowl. Drizzle over food to make instantly more delicious.


It's really that simple. I made four times this quantity, in order to experiment with the vinegar, as the sauce is less viscous than I would like. That amount has been sufficient for dinner last night and lunch today, but you could probably make much more, keeping the ratios intact, and keep it in the fridge in a boiled jar. I'm not sure how long it would keep once the jar was opened, but I'd suggest not longer than a month.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home